How to ensure adequate computer security and keep out dangers from the world of the web, which can jeopardise the defence of your data through intrusions on the network or on your devices.
With the arrival of 2023, cyber security must certainly be a top priority, in light of the constant cyber threats that have become more dangerous than ever. To protect oneself, it is essential to stay up-to-date with the latest technological developments, as well as of course following a few basic rules. The user awareness In fact, it is a key factor in prevention, preventing the actions of those cybercriminals who try to steal your sensitive data or compromise the devices you are using, invading your privacy.
Being aware of the latest technologies and how they are applied is the ideal tool for avoiding such problems. That is why in this article we will try to understand what computer security is and how safeguarding one's own safety on the web.
Computer security what it is: the basics
Under the term computer security we mean a discipline that aims to protect data, systems and networks from external threats, i.e. from unauthorised access that will misuse or destroy them. Its main purpose is to ensure confidentiality, integrity and the availability of information and resources.
Fundamental principles are essential for an adequate level of safeguards:
- First of all, a security model must be defined to identify risks and prevent attacks on the system. These measures must be designed to protect the integrity, confidentiality and accessibility of the data.
- Secondly, it must be ensured that security policies are correctly applied. A good control plan must include appropriate and adequate countermeasures to prevent and detect unauthorised intrusions into the system.
- In addition, it is important to implement an ongoing monitoring programme to detect any vulnerabilities in the system and ensure that measures are properly applied.
- Finally, training must be provided to all those who have access to sensitive data to ensure that they understand the correct practices for managing IT security.
Thus, computer security depends on a set of indispensable aspects that includes the definition of a security model, control measures, the monitoring constant and the training users, but also managing compliance with privacy regulations. If these guidelines are applied correctly, they can effectively prevent any unauthorised intrusion into the computer or computer network.
What are modern IT security technologies?
Modern IT security technologies are essential to protect corporate networks from external attacks. In this regard, we can mention the following:
- Firewall: devices or software that control network traffic in order to allow or block access to certain services or websites;
- Intruder detection systemsThey detect and respond to anomalous activity that may indicate an attempted security breach;
- Multi-factor authentication: method requiring the use of several authentication methods; to grant access to an account;
- Data encryptionsystem to make data accessible only to authorised users and information unreadable to anyone without the appropriate credentials;
- User authorisationsThey impose restrictions on access to certain resources such as files or folders;
- Threat monitoringa process in which potential vulnerabilities in the corporate network are monitored and reports on suspicious activities are provided;
- Vulnerability managementconsists of identifying, classifying and solving known security problems;
- Data Backup: provides the possibility of restoring files in case they are lost or damaged.
Some tips to protect yourself from cyber attacks
To stay safe from cyber attacks, it is important to follow a few simple computer security tips when surfing the web. First of all, make sure you keep your software and programmes up to date. Updates often contain patches to fix vulnerabilities and security holes that can be used by cybercriminals to infiltrate your systems. Secondly, it is crucial use a strong password to protect against unauthorised access attempts. Passwords must be long, combining upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters. Also, do not use the same one on several accounts.
Also make sure you install extensions security features on your web browser. These increase the security of your browser by preventing malicious websites from collecting your personal information without your consent. Finally, be careful how you use mobile devices. Although they are convenient to carry around, they are also more vulnerable to attack than a desktop computer or laptop. So make sure you downloading reliable antivirus su tutti i terminali mobili che utilizzerai. Seguendo queste semplici raccomandazioni puoi proteggerti dagli attacchi informatici e tutelare la tua online privacy.
Cyber security 2023, conclusion
Using a firewall, keeping operating systems and software up-to-date, using complex passwords and changing them regularly, we have seen these as some of the fundamental steps to prevent intrusions into their network or while surfing the web. No less important is user training, which raises users' awareness in using the network appropriately by adopting those IT security technologies that are really appropriate to ensure an adequate level of protection for data and IT infrastructures.